- crypto moves in cycles
- we are in winter now
- it will be spring soon
- it’s time to plant seeds for spring.
Gitcoin’s mission was always about Open Source (later public goods), but the mechanisms through which it accomplished that mission has varied through the years.
A quick Mission Mechanism history:
- In 2017, when Gitcoin first launched, it was a bounty platform.
- In 2018,
- We extended it with a NFT tool called “Kudos”.
- We acquihired an ad marketplace
- We launched Hackathons
- We launched Gitcoin labs.
- In 2019, we launched Gitcoin Grants
- In 2020, Vivek launched KERNEL.
It wasn’t until 2021 that those bets started to pay off insofar as we were rewarded with growth (and, this is impossible to quantify but probably more important, but mindshare).
When I look back on my time in the past market cycle, I cant help but pattern match this growth to the cyclical state of the market. When I look back on this time, I cant help but pattern match this growth to the cyclical state of the market.).
- During crypto fall, we engineered seeds for growth.
- During crypto winter, we were experimented & were faced with tough choices about which seeds would sprout + grow. =>
- During crypto spring, we grew the ones that did sprout => =>
- During crypto summer, we harvested the ones that did sprout + grow by giving them decentralization & independence => => =>
When I look FORWARD on my time in the market cycle, I cant help but encourage the Supermodular community & team to ask these questions:
- How long will winter last?
- What kind of harvest can we expect?
- are we hungry enough that wagmi? but not too hungry that were ngmi?
- What seeds are ppl planting?
- What is the right DNA for a seed?
- Which sprouts look healthy + which don’t?
- How is the market climate changing?
- Are we executing the right OODA Loops + are we executing them as well as we can be?
What seeds is everyone planting this fall? And can I come over for harvest?