SIPS is the SuperModular Incubation Program.
(Important disclaimer: this is an early preview and could be subject to change until finalized)
We aim to continue to discover, facilitate or deploy impactful solutions for cutting edge communities in the spirit of prior successes like Gitcoin and KERNEL .
By doing so, we serve our purpose – to cultivate a more regenerative digital frontier.
The SuperModule Incubation Program (“SIP”) supports this purpose by cultivating new regenerative web3 projects - meaning projects that trend toward self-sustenance and positive-sum outcomes. The goal of the SIP is to build a well-oiled market opportunity evaluation & capital allocation machine that lucidly upregulates high ROI market opportunities & downregulates low ROI market opportunities… Over time, the SIP will produce a supermodular ecosystem of massively valuable ventures (both to investors + to humanity). Supermodularity refers to a pluralistic state where projects are incented to build increasingly more diverse and positive-sum outcomes for the ecosystem they serve.
How do we define ROI?
- Find new venture scale opportunities.
- Build the public good of the ecosystem.
- (and avoid public bad)
- Money, Time, Attention, Social Capital, or other Resources
How will we know if the SIP is successful?
You know it when you see it. What will it look like?
- We find new venture scale opportunities.
- We find new public goods that attract user interest.
Signs of a successful supermodule:
- Investment interest
- User interest
- Glowing testimonials & Increased Social Capital
- Strategic complements with other supermodules
- Cultivates a more regenerative digital frontier
- path to sustainability/independence
Where are we now? Where do we want to be?
We are in a search space in which we are trying to find the maximum of f(x) = public good + venture return.
We have found a local maxima (Gitcoin), and are now searching for a global maxima (a valuable portfolio of supermodular regen web3 ventures).
SuperModular is about 3 months off of its full disaffiliation from Gitcoin. During this time, and in the space away from responsibility over Gitcoin, we have had an opportunity to evaluate a handful of different models for building a SIP. We explored:
- Building an accelerator.
- Hiring an in-house product team.
- Hiring product studios.
In the end, we decided that building a full accelerator would be too capital intensive. We decided that growing an in-house team would not offer the flexibility that we sought. In the end, hiring a team or leveraging product studios for each new venture will give us the flexibility to take multiple experiments from 0 to 1.
Each supermodule will have its own
- Market hypothesis
- Human Resources
The market hypothesis of each supermodule will be evaluated against the project progress from running an iterative succession of monthly OODA loops.
- Sept 2022 - November 2022 - Design Program
- December 2022 - January 2023 - Interview Vendors & Evaluate Market Opportunities
- January 2023 - Select which projects will be funded & ratify budgets.
- January - July 2023 - Build Ventures
- Each Venture will run through an OODA loop (the inner loop).
- We will have monthly demos of their progress.
- At the end of this period we will make a call about which ventures to double down on + which to spin down.
- August 1 2023 - Supermodule graduation ceremony / spinout.
- August 5 2023 - Retrospective.
- (evolve + repeat - GOTO step 1)
SIP Market Opportunity
We will be evaluating supermodule opportunities in two ways,
- Top Down - through engagements with experts, a priori reasoning, experience, and market data.
- Bottoms Up - Embrace and extend existing protocols from Gitcoin.
Checkout these posts which describe how we are thinking about building a more regenerative web3 in Q1 2023:
What is Supermodular + what are we focused on?
SuperModular 2023 Market Exploration
Cohort 1 (2017 - 2022)
SIP Cohort 1: Existing Supermodule Alumni
Cohort 2 (2022 - 2023 )
*Note: we are evaluating these opportunities and have not committed to any of them yet.
SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 1: Regen Web3 Educational/Research Funnel
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 1.1: How to DAO book
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 1.2: Metacrisis research
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 1.3: Stuff only crypto ogs know book
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 1.4: Infinite Garden Coloring Book
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 1.5: Pluriverse.wtf
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 1.6: Greenpill Podast/Book
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 2: Quadratic Funding Social Network
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 3: Web2.5 SimpleGrants Platform
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 4: Hypercerts.xyz
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 5: New modules on Gitcoin Grants Protocol
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 6: vive la sybil resistance!
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 7: fund public goods in a legitimate/recurring/deep way with protocol level infrastructure
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 9: Leverage Gitcoin Grants Data
- SIP Cohort 2 Opportunity 8 - Decentralized LinkedIn Recruiter